2020 has been a year like no other. And the public’s demand for an alternative to the doom and gloom of the pandemic has made our news site and social channels more popular than ever!
In fact, over the course of the first world-wide lockdown, we saw views to our content shoot up. We now regularly have over 500,000 content views a week with 50,000-plus regular readers on Facebook alone.
We have some exciting plans for 2021, but for now, here are the top ten positive news stories from 2020.
- News that politicians from across the political spectrum were supporting a drive to get IT to those who were digitally disconnected during the pandemic. The background to this story was also one of the most popular.
- A rock star swapped the stage for the fight against single use plastics.
- The heart warming story of a gender-fluid singer who was entertaining a suburban community during lockdown.
- News that Scottish consumers wanted to support social enterprises as a result of the pandemic.
- A reminder of more normal times as co-working spaces revealed the impact they have on communities around the world.
- The launch of a free online event to help empower young black men in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Thousands signed up to “adopt a grandparent” during the pandemic.
- This Californian teen has fundraised to help provide clean drinking water in Nepal.
- The first ever school qualification for refugees was launched.
- A new app helped improve people’s well-being during lockdown.
Thank you to our readers, writers and to the organisations that submit stories.
We look forward to hearing your news worth shouting about in 2021!